Sunday, April 29, 2007

The latest craze...


Well, I'd say for about 2 months now, I've been playing disc golf and I think I'm hooked. Late last summer(I think), my brother and I played it, and I was already looking forward to the next time we went out and played. It wasn't until a few months ago when I bought my own disc's and I'm glad I did. This has to be one of the greatest sports, granted you don't run into some arrogant people that have been playing it for a while. But, it doesn't matter how bad you mess up a throw, at the end you can still laugh it off. The exercise you get from it is awesome cause usually you walk, I'd say on average of about 2 miles. Which is pretty damn good cause usually it's through the woods/trails and you're going up hills, down hills, and so on. Another nice thing I've learned is it can easily be a family sport. Kids can throw it and have a good time, and everyone gets out of the house to indulge in some outdoor activities. I've played quite a bit in the past two months, and I'd definately have to say I love it. The one time, we went to a course in Wexford, PA and there was a tournament going on when we got there. We were able to play through since it was ending, however on one hole, (they were skipping around a little) they cut in front of us and played through. Watching them throw was unreal. What seemed effortless to these guys, they were sending these disc's to the next zip code! I learned a little just from watching them and their techniques. Also, I never really imagined the different ways to throw these damn things. There's the traditional throw, a side arm throw, a discus type of throw, and I'm sure there are more. Anyhow, to make a long story short, check this sport out. It doesn't matter how good/bad you are at it; it's good fun to be had by all that play it. Unless you just don't like doing any physical activity at all, I assure you it's worth a shot. And believe it or not, there is a sanctioned organization for it:
Check it out!

No comments: